Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Small Cells Are Big Topic


Verizon Communications’ EVP and CFO, Fran Shammo, spoke at the JPMorgan Global Technology, Media, and Telecom Conference yesterday. Verizon, like Crown Castle, has been very vocal about their focus on small cells. Phil Cusick of JPMorgan asked Shammo about building and managing their own small cell network, and if the company would want to own fiber or just use someone else’s. “We lease a lot of fiber today. There is a lot of competition actually in the fiber world. So, we actually don’t own a lot of fiber that we have, we lease it, we own the electronics on both ends of it but these are long-term leases and we’ve done this for years, so this is nothing new to us,” Shammo explained. “We don’t need to own all of the small cells, we just entered into an agreement up in Boston for 400 site [densified] antenna system, that someone else build out, got all the zoning, has all the fiber and so we’re leasing that from them. So there is a lot of alternatives out there today to create capacity and it doesn’t mean that I have to own and build and control everything, I can do that through third parties, I mean it similar to towers, I don’t own towers but I still run my network off those towers and as long as I get the protections in the agreements that I need for the longevity then it’s a perfect solution for us.” Continue reading here

No comments:

Post a Comment