In a contentious vote today, the FCC approved the so-called “5G Upgrade Order,” the agency’s latest initiative, headed by Commissioner Brendan Carr, to accelerate wireless infrastructure builds.
- Sets a clear demarcation as to when the 60-day shot clock for local approval begins
- Clarifies which new equipment qualifies for streamlined approval
- Ensures local governments cannot misuse concealment and aesthetic conditions to limit the ability to quickly upgrade concealed infrastructure
- Asks for public comment on what activity related to a modification can occur outside of a wireless site
- Accelerates wireless network builds by clarifying rules for upgrading equipment on existing infrastructure